Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Why I Love Being A Writer

Well, there are a lot of reasons, really... but in the past couple days I've gotten to take advantage of one of the best of them. Being a writer, you see, is a great reason (okay, excuse) to start conversations with people you would otherwise have next to no chance of getting time with. Specifically, in this case, I have, in the name of research, begun e-mail correspondence with the only two people to ever trek to the North Pole during the summer. It's research for the new novel I've just started, and I have to tell you when these guys answered my e-mails and said they'd be happy to help me out, I was as excited a ten year old at Christmas who just found out that the biggest present under the tree had his name on it.

I get to talk with guys who have been to the North Pole. Why? Because I'm a writer. I'm still pinching myself.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. (I know what I'm thankful for...)

4 comments:

Fran Friel said...

Ah, you're not only a writer, but a fine writer, and I suppose you're also still a big kid. Your enthusiasm is very endearing, Mr. Schubert.

Give my best to the trekkers! Can't wait to hear more about the new novel.

Hugs from CT,
Fran

Edmund R. Schubert said...

Thanks, Fran. What are you working on these days?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fran Friel said...

What am I working on?

I'm working on a novel which I've submitted for the Borderlands Novel Boot Camp. It's light sci-fi/fantasy, but leaning more toward mainstream. Looks like it's going to be a multi-book thing. I'm also working on a few short stories for anthologies. One of these days I'm going to send you some slush, so you can experience more of the evil glee!

Unfortunately, a lot of my time is being sucked-up by preparing our house for the Real Estate market...old house...LOTS of work. We have to move closer to Paul's job because of his horrendous commute. So, we're selling, buying and moving within the next 10 months...hopefully sooner. The move will be a good one, once it's over!

I'm looking forward to the next IGMS issue.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Ed!

Hugs,
Fran